A fond farewell - of sorts.

I'm not really a big fan of cars. They're functional things, not objects of desire, for me. If I were to win millions on the lottery (unlikely, as I don't take part), I wouldn't rush out to buy a top of the range Maserati. Having said that, I've owned several cars that I've had a degree of affection for, the most recent being a 2009 vintage Citroen Berlingo. Apart from some initial issues arising from an incompetent windscreen fitter and the weather, and exacerbated by a truly crap dealer, it had served me very well since I bought it in 2017.

It was very basic by current standards, lacking one essential feature - air-conditioning which, when you've had it in previous cars, is VERY noticeable by its absence. It was one of the most practical and comfortable cars I've ever owned, A/C notwithstanding, and was very good on long journeys, where other cars have left me with an aching back. It's carrying capacity was brilliant, and there was plenty of space for our dog, Leo, who was perfectly happy to get in and travel peacefully.

But, as the saying goes, all things must pass, goes, and I felt the time to replace it had come. At 138,000 miles, it wasn't going to last forever, and there was noticeable deterioration in the bodywork - some self-inflicted, some not.

Long story short, I settled on a Citroen C3 Aircross as a replacement. A bit like a mini Berlingo, it hasn't got its load space, but it has sufficient room for Leo, and is in a different class of modernity.

I looked at several specimens, and decided that trading my faithful old Berlingo in would be the easiest thing to do. I wasn't expecting much for it, but I was a little disappointed by one dealer's online valuation tool that offered me £50. Even the "we buy any old heap of junk" sites offered me more than that, one dealer even offering £1,000.

I eventually settled on an Aircross at a dealer in Bolton, who offered a bit less than £1,000, but the overall deal was acceptable. When I went to collect my shiny new car, and hand the Berlingo over, I felt a pang of sadness at leaving my faithful old friend to an uncertain future. It had served me very well, and only failed me on one occasion recently, when the battery died, needing to be replaced. The thought of it sitting there in a parking lot before probably heading off to an auction and thence who knows where made me quite sad. I hope whoever buys it will get many years of good use out of it, as I did.

Farewell, old buddy.

Comments